Music transmissions by the ancillary station in Dresden

 

Guenther-Anton-Richter-Kurth-Rundfunk-for-web

The Advent concert transmitted by the Dresden regional station from Scheibenberg in the Annaberg district, featuring Albert Schädlich, Anton Günther, Curt Herbert Richter and Max Rothe with his folklore group “Rothe Mäd” (Rothe’s girls), some lace makers, the teachers Herr Meyer and Herr Schönherr and the MIRAG Radio presenter Josef Krahe (2nd from the right).

 

From Günther Anton to Mahler’s Eighth Symphony …

The range of music offered by the Dresden station within the Central German radio federation was very wide.
The music programme makers wanted to include the flavour of all the regions of Saxony with the help of radio microphones, and to beam the results “out into the ether and across the world”.
The spectrum of music ranged from the traditional songs of the Erzgebirge (iron mountains) and the slavic Sorbs through the performances of sacred works by the Kreuzkirche choir to large-scale concerts and opera broadcasts.

Gewerbehaus-for-webTo this end, “announcer’s posts” (which today we would call sound control rooms) were set up specially for live broadcasts.
One such control room was located next to the concert hall of the Dresden Philharmonic Orchestra in the building belonging to the Dresden trade association and it served as the transmission point for concerts by the municipal orchestra. At that time, until 1929, the conductor was Eduard Mörike, GMD of the Dresden Philharmonic and Director of the Dresden Choral Society. In this capacity he was responsible for establishing the Dresden Philharmonic’s reputation as a champion of contemporary music. He was succeeded in the post by Paul Scheinpflug and Werner Ladwig.

Semper_Oper-for-web1932-Mahler-8Busch-for-webA further control room was installed in the rooms which the radio station rented from the Semperoper, in order to broadcast excerpts of symphony concerts by the Staatskapelle Dresden and opera premieres. Thanks to preserved radio programme previews we know that on May 24, 1926, Verdi’s La Forza del Destino and in 1932 Mahler’s elemental 8th Symphony conducted by Fritz Busch were broadcast live to all radio receivers. Sadly, there was at that time no technology capable of recording for posterity such long works, as magnetic tape had not been invented. What would opera lovers of today give to hear the voices of Maria Cebotari and Erna Berger in such monumental works?

The everyday, run-of-the-mill daily programme of light music was provided by Theodor Blumer and his Dresden-based Radio-Hauskapelle (in-house radio band). The musicians had to learn to be quiet as mice when the announcer, sitting at the microphone in the same room, had to introduce the programme. MORE

Steffen Lieberwirth

MIRAG-Dresden-Hauskapelle-Blumer-for-web

Die Radio-Hauskapelle mit dem Musikalischen Leiter Theodor Blumer und einem Rundfunkansager während einer Vormittagssendung.

 

  Originaldokumente und weitere zeitgenössische Fotografien zum MIRAG-Nebensender 1924/25 


 

  Der MIRAG-Nebensender Dresden · 1924 bis 1933
      Recherchen des MDR-Radiojournalisten Tobias Knauf

  Der Landessender Dresden wird wiederbegründet · 1945
      Erinnerungen des damaligen MDR-Kulturchefs Ulli Böhme
        und des MDR-Toningenieurs Gerhard Steinke

  Das neue Funkhaus im Hygienemuseum  · 1946
      Erinnerungen des damaligen MDR-Reporters Johannes Lieberwirth
        und des damaligen MDR-Toningenieurs Gerhard Steinke